Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Happy




One of the questions I ask patients of Synchrony ChiroCare or clients starting the BStrong4Life program is "What is your Goal during you care in our office?" More often than not, the answer is: "I want to get healthy." Even is the answer is a different one, I follow with another question: "Why?" Usually I will get another answer to which I ask again, "Why?" Almost universally, the more I ask "Why?" the closer you as a patient or client will tell me the real reason: "because it will make me happier."

Let me give you a few real examples from my files:

Dr. Bennese: "What is your Goal during your care in our office?"
Patient: "To increase my bone density."
Dr. Bennese: "Why?"
Patient: "So I don't have to take bone density medication and suffer all the side effects"
Dr. Bennese: "Why?"
Patient: "BECAUSE THAT WILL MAKE ME HAPPY!"

Sometimes I have to dig a little deeper....

Dr. Bennese: "What is your Goal during your care in our office?"
Patient: "To get rid of my sciatica"
Dr. Bennese: "Why?"
Patient: "So I can resume training"
Dr. Bennese: "Why?"
Patient: "Because I want to Run faster."
Dr. Bennese: "Why?"
Patient: "So I can fulfil my dream of running a marathon."
Dr. Bennese: "Why?"
Patient: "BECAUSE THAT WILL MAKE ME HAPPY!"

As Tony Hsieh, CEO of Zappos.com said, "In the end, it turns out that we're all taking different paths in pursuit of the same goal: happiness."

No comments:

Post a Comment